Some people say spring is the time to clean but I like to start off the new year with a home purge. While putting away all the holiday decorations its always a good time to sift through broken ornaments, beat up garland and outdated trinkets. Then when I am in the process of putting back all my regular home accessories its nice to rearrange furniture and change things up. So don’t be afraid to completely move your furniture and say good bye to last years dust bunnies all while giving your room a whole new feel. Move the sofa on an angle, swap walls for the tv, move accessories from one room to another. Homes that feel stagnant now can easily be fluffed and rearranged to bring new life without having to spend a lot of money.
This is also a great time to make a home to do list, going room by room and making a list of all the little projects. It may seem overwhelming at first but if you break down each room into small projects and designate a time on your calendar for each one, before you know it your home will be looking and feeling great.
Here’s an example of some of my home to do’s this year:
1. Go through each closet and purge, purchase organizing containers, new hangers, and storage bins
2. Purchase new bakeware and throw out old cookie sheets and utensils no one uses
3. Get new office supplies and great colored organizers for mail, bills, and kids activities
4. Replace any old plastic blinds with broken strings
5. Get new throw pillows for sofa
6. New bathroom towels and accent rugs
7. Put new knobs on kitchen cabinets for updated look
8. Go through all medicine and bathroom vanities and replace for upcoming cold and flu season
9. Clean out pantry and get fun clear jars to put oatmeal, pasta, and beans in
10. Save up for new bedroom furniture
11. Paint hallway and entry for a fresh new welcoming feeling
So don’t let the winter season get you down, use this “inside” time as a way of getting rid of the old and getting ready and prepped for the new! This year is going to be full of great design so lets make this your first step.